Monday 7 July 2014

Unwind with Kettle Yarn Co

Linda will be joining Unwind as a vendor so I asked her to answer a few questions and share some of her crafting experiences with us.

image: right- edited photo of Waterlily by Meghan Fernandes © Juju Vail and Pom Pom Quarterly – left ISLINGTON ‘Chambray’ © Linda Lencovic
Please introduce yourself and your business in 2-3 sentences.
I started Kettle Yarn Co. a year ago deciding I wanted to source the most delicious, high quality yarns while staying firmly focussed on ethical fibres and the best of local British Breeds. All my blends go through an extensive wear testing process and only yarns that pass my exacting standards for optimum softness and durability are chosen to be lovingly hand dyed in small batches, creating exceptional heirloom yarns that stand the test of time.

What treats can we look forward to seeing at your stand during Unwind?
I am dyeing up tons of my ISLINGTON fingering – sw British BFL/ Silk (shown above) and will be launching my new yarn blend BEYUL fingering. This blend combines the best of 3 fibres – the cashmere-like halo of high quality yak down, a subtle shimmer from silk, and the bouncy goodness of the softest superwash Merino.

Veil of Leithen shawl (an Unwind KAL), by Renee Callahan EastLondonKnit in Kettle Yarn Co. BEYUL , colourway  ‘yurt’ - image © Linda Lencovic
Spun from the softest yak down – this eco-friendly yak/ silk/ sw Merino blend is durable, breathable, lightweight and its incredible thermal properties keeps you cool in summer and warm in winter. This blend is truly a dyer’s dream, taking dye with an intoxicating richness that takes your breath away. Check out my post for more yak fibre ‘faks’ on the lovely A Playful Day. I’ve dyed up several colourways to preview at Unwind.

Kettle Yarn Co. BEYUL , colourways from left to right: ‘yurt’ – 20% Yak, 20% Silk, 60% SW Merino - image © Linda Lencovic
The rest of the colourways will be released in Autumn.

Kettle Yarn Co. BEYUL autumn 2014 colourways image © Linda Lencovic

You moved to the UK to study Fine Art Painting at Chelsea, how did this progress to dyeing yarn?

My yarn dyeing adventures started a few years ago during a period of illness, before severe
fragrance allergies were diagnosed. I was working at the University of the Arts London and practicing as an artist and found that preparing canvases was just too much for me at the time, so I started knitting so that I could continue to create while conserving energy. Dyeing my own yarn was a logical melding of mixing paint and knitting in a way.

Your yarns are named after London boroughs- what’s your favourite neighbourhood?
That is a tough one... I have different favourites in different moods! Islington has always been at the top of the list, though. With the rich mix of fashion, design and food it is an area I always enjoy visiting. I used to spend a lot of time in the Shoreditch area before it became so trendy and was more of an artist’s haunt. It is amazing to wander the streets there now and see what posh new places have popped up!

Chalcot Socks by Anita Grahn © Dan Walmsley for Practical publishing, TWIST © Linda Lencovic

How did you start your crafting journey?
I have no idea! I have been making things as long as I can remember and suspect showing me how to make things was my mother’s way of trying to keep my innate curiosity from driving her mad! Smart woman. ;-)

What are you looking forward to the most about Unwind?
So many things! I’m looking forward to my second yarn fair as the first was so positive and the people so amazing...catching up with friends and making new ones...beautiful Brighton itself and seeing the sea...I can barely wait!


A big thank you to Linda for taking the time to share some insight into her knitting world. You can find her yarns on the Kettle Yarn Co. etsy shop. To keep up to date with all of the latest news, keep an eye on Twitter, Pinterest, Instagram, Facebook and her blog From the Purl Side.

No comments:

Post a Comment