Sunday 6 July 2014

Unwind with Erika Knight

Erika Knight will also be joining Unwind as a vendor so I asked her to answer a few questions and share some of her crafting experiences with us.

© erika knight 2014
 Please introduce yourself and your business in 2-3 sentences.
My ethos is simple: to keep sheep grazing out beautiful landscape, to promote our distinctive British sheep breeds and to make it all here in Britain, supporting British manufacturing. My yarn collection is concise and considered with colours carefully selected so that you can be confident in choosing a quality yarn for whatever you wish to create.

What treats can we look forward to seeing at your stand during Unwind?
I will be showcasing some brand new kits for the first time – which make great gifts, or projects for the train home! I’ll also have a selection of my 100% British wool and will be signing books.

How did your career in designing begin?
I never set out to be a designer exactly, but I suppose my hobby became my career. I think I’ve probably had every job in the design industry and have been lucky to work with some top designers as well as high street brands. But I am really enjoying being my own boss now and designing yarn under my own name, its great to be able to design, select and develop at every stage of the process – I’ve got an opinion on everything. I think all knitters are control freaks really, and I’m certainly no exception!
© erika knight 2014
What do you enjoy most about working in the knitting industry?
I love the camaraderie and community of the knitting industry – it’s all-inclusive. I just love the low-tech nature of knitting – anyone can pick up two sticks and a length of string and make a fabric – it’s empowering. On a personal level I love working with colour and texture, that’s what really excites me and continues to inspire me.

You are local to Brighton- what’s your top tip for enjoying the weekend in Brighton?
In Brighton you’ve just got to go with the flow – there might be sunshine perfect for a BBQ on the beach or a stroll along the prom with an ice cream, or a sea fret might appear around lunchtime shrouding the city in a thick damp air, in which case its best to head inland for a coffee at Red Roaster, a mooch around the Brighton Museum or browsing my favourite vintage shop Hope & Harlequin.

© erika knight 2014
What are you looking forward to the most about Unwind?
I am really looking forward to a celebration of knitting in my own back yard! I love Brighton, so its going to be a great opportunity to share it with lots of the creative knitty types that I have met from all around the globe who are travelling to Unwind.


A big thank you to Erika Knight for taking the time to share some insight into her knitting world. You can find Erika’s website by visiting www.erikaknight.co.uk. To keep up to date with all of the latest news, keep an eye on Twitter as @KnightKraft, Instagram as @knightkraft, Facebook and the blog.



1 comment:

  1. Erika's interview was inspiring, honest and had me laughing. I'm looking forward to meeting a fellow control freak!

    ReplyDelete