Thursday 20 March 2014

Unwind with Tom Of Holland

Meet TomofHolland, a Brighton resident I had the pleasure of meeting in person to invite to teach at Unwind. Tom is a self-taught knitter and mender, originally from The Netherlands. Meticulous in his approach to crafts, he is known for the way technical detail, tradition and narrative inform his projects. Tom is a strong advocate for British Wool and is an great supporter of the Campaign for Wool.

Tom will be hosting a darning drop in session at the Friends Meeting House on Saturday the 12th July, and will also be teaching his popular Darning Masterclass on the morning of Sunday 13th.

(c) Tom Of Holland

I asked Tom to answer a few questions and share some of his crafting experiences...

What was your first knitting/spinning/crochet project?

One of the first things I remember knitting was a small cabled scarf in stripes for my teddy bear. I also remember not enjoying it very much, and it was not until much later in life I picked up needles and yarn again.

Do you have a favourite knitting tip to share?

Swatch, swatch, and swatch.

Do you have any other crafty hobbies? 

Perhaps unsurprisingly, I’m a fanatic darner and mender! I also spin a bit.

Would you say you are a process or product knitter? 

I like to make things that take forever, so I guess I’m a process knitter in that respect, although I do get satisfaction from finishing things.

What are you working on right now?

I’m doing a big repair commission at the moment, and I’m also spinning and swatching for a new art project. It’s still early days, so there’s not much to report right now.

If you had to pick just one kind of yarn to knit with/ tool to work with / fibre to spin for the rest of your life what would it be?

As a Team Wovember Member, it has to be WOOL!

Whose knitting work do you most admire and why?

My most favourite knitting person must be Mary Thomas. Mary Thomas’s Knitting Book and Mary Thomas’s Book of Knitting Patterns should be on any knitter’s bookshelf.

What are you most looking forward to about Unwind?

Meeting lots of fellow yarn enthusiasts.

(c) Tom Of Holland

A big thank you to Tom for taking the time to share some insight into his knitting world. You can keep up-to-date with upcoming classes and other events that Tom will be attending by visiting his blog.
You can also find him on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram as tomofholland.

No comments:

Post a Comment