Saturday 8 February 2014

Unwind with Kirsten Kapur


© Through The Loops

Meet Kirsten Kapur, the knitwear designer behind ‘Through The Loops’. Kirsten will be flying in to join us from New York, where she lives with her family. Kirsten has a background as both a fashion and textile designer which has fed her love of garment construction and surface design. She self-publishes her own patterns and collections and has also been published in International magazines including Knitty, VogueKnitting and Knitscene, as well as books such as Weekend Hats and The Joy of Sox. I’ve been a fan of Kirsten’s designs for years, and am so happy she’ll be Unwinding with us this Summer!




Kirsten will be teaching three classes: Shawl Design and COs, BOs, Knitting Edges and Trims on Saturday, 12th July, and Lace on Sunday, 13th July. Class spots are filling quickly, so be sure to book yours soon.


Kirsten kindly answered a few questions about her crafting life...



What was your first ever knitting project?
I have no recollection of learning to knit, so I can’t say what my first knitting project was. I spent a fair bit of time knitting when I was in college in the 80’s. I remember purchasing cotton prints and solids from the fabric store I worked in, and ripping it into strips to knit tank tops.

© Through The Loops
What’s your favourite thing to knit?
I go through phases. Sometimes its lace, sometimes colourwork, sometimes cables. I do love colour, so any project that uses colour in an interesting way is very appealing to me.


Do you have a favourite knitting tip to share with us?
My two favourite knitting tips are be fearless about trying new things, and don’t be afraid to rip it out if it’s not working.


Do you have any other crafty hobbies?
Along with knitting I love to spin, draw, paint, sew, and take photographs.




Would you say you are a process or product knitter?
I’m a little of both, but lean more heavily to product knitter. When I’ve got an idea I want to get it done. 


What are you working on right now?
I’m working on several things at the moment. The first is a sweater for my sweet 2 year old niece. I’ve also got a sweater for my daughter on my needles that I’m just putting the finishing touches on. Then there’s the giant garter stitch blanket that’s working nicely for a bit of stash busting and mindless.


© Through The Loops


Is there a technique you’ve always wanted to try but haven’t had the chance yet?
I’d love to try double knitting, since I really enjoy working with color. I’ve just never had the time. Hopefully that will happen soon.

Thanks Kirsten, for taking the time to share some insight into your knitting world. We look forward to seeing you in July!

You can find all of Kirsten’s designs on her website including Grover's Mill cardigan (pictured right).





No comments:

Post a Comment